It's a tough week for the early Italians, as First Round rivals Simone Martini and Masaccio have both been forced out with records of 1-2-1 and 1-2 respectively.
Both of today's contestants have struggled to stay alive in the Tournament. A big win here might give one of them some momentum going into an eventual trial against the loser of the Ely/Manet match. But that's all probably a few months in the future.
Theo Van Doesburg
1883 - 1931
- Tied with William Dobson in his first try at the First Round, in December 2012.
- Skunked by Ernst Haeckel in a second shot at Round 1.
- Snuck by his contemporary John Marin in First Round Elimination by a two-vote swing. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!!
- Beat early master Simone Martini in the Left Bracket Second Round.
1789 - 1854
- Beat Italian sculptor Marino Marini in Round 1.
- Tied with Simone Martini in his first attempt at Round 2.
- Lost to scientific illustrator Ernst Haeckel in Round 2.
- Beat Masaccio in Round 2.
Vote for the artist of your choice in the comments, or any other way that works for you. Commentary and links to additional work are welcome. Polls open for at least one month past posting, but likely much longer.