It's my second favorite day of the year: Groundhog Day! The ancient celebration of the halfway point between winter solstice and spring equinox, Groundhog Day closes the curtain on the dark quarter of the year. Rejoice! REJOICE, I tell you!
1. What large city is at the business end of this big purple arrow?
2. The first sentence of his most famous work lays out an ambitious artistic program, and warns a modern reader that this thing is going to be pretty tough to read:
OF Mans First Disobedience, and the FruitWho's the author?
Of that Forbidden Tree, whose mortal tast
Brought Death into the World, and all our woe,
With loss of Eden, till one greater Man
Restore us, and regain the blissful Seat,
Sing Heav'nly Muse, that on the secret top
Of Oreb, or of Sinai, didst inspire
That Shepherd, who first taught the chosen Seed,
In the Beginning how the Heav'ns and Earth
Rose out of Chaos: Or if Sion Hill
Delight thee more, and Siloa's Brook that flow'd
Fast by the Oracle of God; I thence
Invoke thy aid to my adventrous Song,
That with no middle flight intends to soar
Above th' Aonian Mount, while it pursues
Things unattempted yet in Prose or Rhime.
3. He "is the second-most recorded jazz composer after Duke Ellington, which is particularly remarkable as Ellington composed more than 1,000 pieces, whereas [he] wrote about 70." Who is he?
4. Most saints are human, but this one is not. By tradition, he is the the leader of the Army of God. Name that saint!
5. Who is the painter?
6. One hundred and sixty-seven years ago today, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was signed. What did formally put an end to?
7. Two eavesdropping scenes from movie adaptions of a Shakespeare play in which eavesdropping runs rampant. What's the play?
8. In the United States, it topped the popular album chart on 15 February 1964 and remained at number one for eleven weeks. But it was never really released in the U.K. What was that famous record?
9. What pattern do you suppose is shown on this map of New Zealand?
10. Here's a synopsis: "By day, Thomas Anderson is an computer programmer; by night he is a hacker known as Neo. He is contacted by a character named Morpheus, who awakens him to the real world: a wasteland where most of humanity have been captured by machines who imprison their minds within an artificial reality." What's the title of the #19 movie on the imdb list?