No special occasion today -- back to the general knowledge!
1. I removed the name of the artist of L'Inverno from this 1977 Italian stamp. What was the name of this quirky 16th century painter?
2. In one play, he says:
The evil that men do lives after them;And in another, he says:
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Caesar. The noble Brutus
Hath told you Caesar was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answer'd it.
Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest--
For Brutus is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men--
Come I to speak in Caesar's funeral.
I am dying, Egypt, dying; onlyWho is he?
I here impórtune death a while, until
Of many thousand kisses the poor last
I lay upon thy lips.
3. Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore directs some military action in this still from imdb's 45th best film of all time. What is the name of the 1979 movie?
4. As the bishop of Hippo -- an important North African city, until it was sacked and destroyed in 698 A.D. -- this guy became a leading figure in Christian theology, developing ideas like divine grace, original sin, and the notion that Christians should be focused on "the City of God" rather than secular, earthly concerns. What's was his name?
5. This map shows the administrative regions and major towns of what country?
6. Element #51, symbolized Sb, is a silver-grey metal that used to be commonly confused with lead, back in the old days. What's its name?
7. It's 1918, and most of these young British men are presumably delighted as they listen to an announcement of the ________________.
8. Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. And as this novel opens, Price Oblonsky is unhappy that he has been caught fooling around with the governess and has to sleep on the couch.
9. This sign is in Nagorno-Karabakh, an ethnically-distinct region that has legally been part of Azerbaijan since that country's independance in 1991, but which has never actually been integrated into that country. You might recall a war being fought over this matter. Anyway, what language is the red part of the sign in?
10. Inspired by a didactic novel by Friedrich Nietzsche, it's actually a fairly long tone poem. The interesting bit is the first minute or so, which we usually think of it as the theme from 2001 - A Space Odyssey.