Why, you might ask, is it Grudge Match Week? Because the vagaries of the Tournament gave us not one but two Grudge Matches to work through this week. Here's the first one.
Wyndham Lewis made short work of Sol LeWitt in Round 1, but who knows? Since then, I for one have been to the epic Sol Le Witt exhibit at DIA-Beacon, in New York, maybe that will tilt my vote in his favor. Except, I voted for him the first time around. WHATEVER!! The point is, Mr. Lewis must ratify his earlier win. And remember the Grudge Match Rule: to survive, LeWitt needs an outright majority. A tie would go to Lewis on the strength of his original win.
Here we go!
1882 - 1957
- Beat Sol LeWitt easily in Round 1.
- Lost to the Limbourg Brothers in Round 2.
- Made it past Erich Heckel in the Left Bracket Second Round by a safe margin.
1928 - 2007
- Lost to Britain's Wyndham Lewis in Round 1.
- Won easily against Roy Lichtenstein in First Round Elimination.
- Cruised past Stanley Hayter in the Left Bracket Second Round.
Vote for the artist of your choice in the comments, or any other way that works for you. Commentary and links to additional work are welcome. Polls open for at least one month past posting, but likely much longer.