Back in 'aught twelve, Gustave Courbet beat Francesco del Cossa 8-4 in the First Round. Yet del Cossa's longing for revenge, or perhaps the votes of his admirers, has kept him alive in the Left Bracket as he gathered up wins over reputable artists like Correggio and Cranach the Elder. Courbet, meanwhile, lost to Corot in the Second Round before coming back to lay a painful beating on Aelbert Cuyp. Cranach the Elder and Cuyp both leave the tournament with records of 1-2, Cranach with a handsome total cumulative vote total of 20 for, 19 against, and Cuyp with a very respectable 17 for, 20 against.
OMG IT'S A GRUDGE MATCH!!! Will del Cossa manage to get his terrible revenge this time around? It could happen! Turnover in the voting pool, new images, and of course the steadily increasing sophistication of all our artistic tastes might reshuffle the deck in his favor. Remember, he has to win outright to stay alive; in the event of a tie a Grudge Match goes to the previous winner.
Francesco del Cossa
c.1435 - c.1478
- Put up a pretty good fight against Gustave Courbet in Round 1.
- Ousted Michael5000 favorite Correggio in First Round Elimination.
- Got by Cranach the Elder in the Left Bracket Second Round on the last vote. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!!
1819 - 1877
- Defeated 15th Century Italian Francesco Del Cossa after a see-saw battle in Round 1.
- Lost to Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot, a guy from the previous generation, in Round 2.
- Stampeded Aelbert Cuyp in the Left Bracket Second Round.
Vote for the artist of your choice in the comments, or any other way that works for you. Commentary and links to additional work are welcome. Polls open for at least one month past posting, but likely much longer.