The Quiz of Eights
It's into the vault this week for a quiz that you've long forgotten, if you ever saw it in its first run. Answers remain in arrears as well. We regret any inconvenience this may engender.
1. The eight basic colors of Crayola crayons have remained the same since the brand was introduced in 1908. For a point apiece, what are they?
2. What does the Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protect you from?
3. Catholics and Lutherans consider the Eighth Commandment to be You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. For other Christians, as well as Jews, the 8th Commandment is what?
4. For two weeks in March, 1965 -- between The Temptations' "My Girl" and The Supremes "Stop! In the Name of Love" -- the number one song on the Billboard U.S. singles chart began with these lyrics:
Ooh I need your love babe,Name that tune.
Guess you know it's true.
Hope you need my love, babe,
Just like I need you.
5. The Noble Eightfold Path consists of:
1. Right viewBut who says so?
2. Right intention
3. Right speech
4. Right action
5. Right livelihood
6. Right effort
7. Right mindfulness
8. Right concentration
6. The "G8" or "Group of Eight," is a yearly forum that has been held (originally as the G6 and for a time as the G7) since 1975 among leaders of traditionally powerful countries. It does NOT currently include the "Outreach Five" countries whose influence has been on the rise more recently: Brazil, China, India, Mexico, and South Africa. For a point apiece, what eight countries DOES it include?
7. Remember eight-track cassettes? Why were they said to have eight tracks?
8. Of the eight planets -- the
the smallest?9. The "Noble Gases" neon (Ne), argon (Ar), krypton (Kr), and xenon (Xe) tend to be chemically unreactive because they have eight ___________.
the one with the shortest year?
the furthest from the sun?
the one that's almost the same size as Earth?
10. What is the next Fibonacci number after eight?
11. What, for four points, is this dealie:
12. How do you write the number 8 in a binary numerical system?
13. The eighth book of the Old Testament or Hebrew Bible is a short story about a widow who finds a new husband. It is the Book of _____.