Both René Magritte and Lorenzo Lotto won their first two matches before falling to a Play-In Artist -- Benton and Goldsworthy, respectively. Then, they immediately jumped back to win their Left Bracket Third Round contests, thus making redundant months and months of matches in the First Elimination, Left Second, and Second Elimination Rounds. Such is the Tournament!
Their victims in the Left Bracket Third were Théodore Géricault (3-2-1; 38 vf, 35 va) and Mabuse (3-2; 34 vf, 24 va). Mabuse's two losses came at the hands of today's two artists.
1898 - 1967
- Skunked -- skunked! -- sculptor Aristide Maillol in Round 1.
- Won a close one against Mabuse in Round 2.
- Lost badly to Andy Goldsworthy in Round 3.
- Beat Théodore Géricault in the Left Bracket Third Round.
1480 - 1556
- Defeated abstract American Morris Louis in Round 1.
- Nudged Lorenzo Monaco in Round 2 by a two-vote swing. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!!
- Crushed by Thomas Hart Benton in Round 3.
- Beat Mabuse in the Left Bracket Third Round.
Vote for the artist of your choice in the comments, or any other way that works for you. Commentary and links to additional work are welcome. Polls open for at least one month past posting.