"Semifinals" designates the Fourth to Seventh Rounds of the Infinite Art Tournament. This is a Left Bracket Fourth Round Elimination Match. It pits Paul Cézanne (4-1, 38-24, .613) and Mary Cassatt (4-1, 44-25, .638). Leaving the Tournament at their hands are Canova (5-2, 54-40, .574) and Chardin (4-2, 41-32, .562). Canova, who had fought his way left after losing in the First Round (to Caravaggio) ties the record for most wins of any artist leaving the Tournament; his "batting average" of votes in favor is the 14th highest of any ousted artist. Chardin, whose two losses were to today's two contestants, isn't too far behind him, in 19th.
1839 - 1906
- Didn't have much trouble with Benvenuto Cellini in Round 1.
- In a contest of many mixed feelings, got past Marc Chagall in Round 2.
- Edged out French genre master Chardin in Round 3 by a two-vote swing. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!
- Upset by underdog Frederick Church in their June 2013 Round 4 match. It was a two-vote swing! YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!!
- Defeated Canova in the Left Bracket Fourth Round.
1844 - 1926
American; worked in France
- Defeated Andrea del Castagno in Round 1.
- Gave early 16th century Venetian Vincenzo Catena a thorough drubbing in Round 2.
- Crushed Vittore Carpaccio in Round 3.
- Blown out by Gustave Caillebotte in Round 4.
- Trounced Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin in the Left Bracket Fourth Round.