Every week, this quiz forms an uneasy alliance with a group of extraterrestrial misfits.
1. Here's a capsule description of a 2002 best-seller:
The first half of the novel is about Cal's family and depicts his grandparents' migration from Bursa, a city in Asia Minor, to... Detroit, Michigan, then a booming industrial city. The latter half of the novel, set in the late 20th century, focuses on Cal's experiences in his hometown of Detroit and his escape to San Francisco, where he comes to terms with his modified gender identity.What's the book?
2. In a big 2014 summer blockbuster, "Peter Quill forms an uneasy alliance with a group of extraterrestrial misfits who are fleeing after stealing a powerful artifact." What's the name of the movie?
3. Who is the famous artist who made these three paintings?
4. Pip, Madame Defarge, Uriah Heep, Esther Summonson, Wilkins Micawber, and little Jenny Wren are all characters created by this author. By what author?
5.What country is shown here?
6. Who!? What?! Where?!
7. Greetings from what city?
8. Twenty-seven years ago today, a man named Nolan Ryan did something for the 5000th time. That's more times than anyone else has done it, before or since! What did Mr. Ryan do so very often?
Last week's Summer Quiz answers were all like:
1. Pride and PrejudiceChristine M. got a perfect slate, quickly followed by DrSchnell. That means that the good doctor will need to disassemble the Summer Quiz trophy, which came into his keeping last week, and send half of it to Christine M. in the Buckeye State.
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Pablo Picasso
4. James Joyce
6. a self-portrait by Rembrandt
7. Hong Kong
8. It was the first ship to go thru the Panama Canal
Incidentally -- and although everybody knows it's all about the goodwill, not the medal count -- the current Summer-season score is DrSchnell 3, Christine M. 2, Susan 1, pfly 1.