Enjoy this Quiz in our special Summer 2016 format, or I'll have you executed on the spot.
1. In the surreal trial near the end of this 1865 best-seller, according to the Wiki, a witness gets flustered:
'Give your evidence,' said the King; 'and don't be nervous, or I'll have you executed on the spot.'
This did not seem to encourage the witness at all: he kept shifting from one foot to the other, looking uneasily at the Queen, and in his confusion he bit a large piece out of his teacup instead of the bread-and-butter.What's the book?
2. A quiet moment in a noisy 1991 Summer blockbuster. What's the film?
3. They aren't his most famous paintings, but they're his paintings! Who is the famous artist?
The wounded were coming into the post, some were carried on stretchers, some walking and some were brought on the backs of men that came across the field. They were wet to the skin and all were scared. We filled two cars with stretcher cases as they came up from the cellar of the post and as I shut the door of the second car and fastened it I felt the rain on my face turn to snow. The flakes were coming heavy and fast in the rain.Who's the author?
5.What country is shown here?
6. Another famous painting! You probably like this one. Do you know the artist and title?
7. Here's a postcard from a minor tourist attraction in a famously hilly city. From what city was this postcard sent in the summer of 1905-06?
8. Here's a picture of an odd moment that occurred in the United States 42 years ago today. Who is that fellow, and what had he just done?
Last week's Summer Quiz answers were, to mostly quote Christine M, the new holder of the Summer Quiz Cup:
1. Treasure Island
2. The Sixth Sense
3. Andy Goldsworthy
5. Hokkaido, the northern island of Japan
6. Caspar David Friedrich, [The Wreck of the Hope]