It seems like a long time since we've had a Grudge Match. But what a coincidence, here's one now!
The first time that Richard Estes met Max Ernst, it was a thriller that went down to the last vote, with Estes clawing out a photorealist-finish win, seven votes against six. But that was more than three years ago! Maybe our tastes have evolved, or something. Remember the Grudge Match rule: to stay in the tournament, Ernst needs a majority. A tie would go to Estes on the strength of his original win.
- Beat Max Ernst on the last vote in Round 1. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!!
- Lost to Jan Van Eyck in a 2013 Round 2 match by a single vote. YOUR VOTE COUNTED!!!
- Beat Edvard Munch with a late run in the Left Bracket Second Round.
1891 - 1976
- Lost to Richard Estes in Round 1.
- Beat English painter William Etty in First Round Elimination.
- Made it past James Ensor in the Left Bracket Second Round by a safe margin.
Vote for the artist of your choice in the comments, or any other way that works for you. Commentary and links to additional work are welcome. Polls open for at least one month past posting, but likely much longer.