The Thursday Quiz is a twelve item is-it-or-isn't-it test of your knowledge, reasoning, stamina, and moxie!
Remember always the Fundamental Rules of the Thursday Quiz:
1. The Thursday Quiz is a POP quiz. No research, Googling, Wikiing, or use of reference books. Violators will never be able to look at themselves in the mirror again.
2. Don't get all stressed out about it! It's supposed to be fun!
You knew it in high school... but have you retained your knowledge? Which of the following terms are defined with both precision and accuracy? And which are but a load of crap?
1. Abscissa -- The horizontal or "x" value in any pair of "x,y" coordinates.
2. Coefficient -- A number or symbol multiplied with a variable or an unknown quantity in algebra. Examples: 7 in the term 7x; x in the term x(a + b)
3. Commutative Property -- A characteristic of addition and multiplication, that the same result is yielded regardless of the order the numbers being added or multiplied. Examples: ab = ba; a + b = b + a
4. Denominator -- The answer yielded when dividing one number by another.
5. Fibonacci Sequence -- The sequence of numbers that are the squares of integers. 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100, 121, etc.
6. Imaginary Numbers -- Any multiple of the square root of negative one.
7. Irrational Number -- A number that cannot be expressed as the ratio of two integers. Examples: pi; the square root of two
8. Isosceles Triangle -- Any triangle in which the hypotenuse is the longest of its three sides.
9. Median -- The average; the sum of a set of values divided by the number of values in the set.
10. Quotient -- The bottom of the two numbers in a fraction.
11. Tangent -- In a right-angled triangle, the length of the side opposite to an angle divided by the length of the adjacent side.
12. Tangent -- A line that touches an arc or circle at a single point, but does not intersect it.
Submit your answers in the comments. Show your work.