The Thursday Quiz is a twelve item is-it-or-isn't-it test of your knowledge, reasoning, stamina, and moxie!
Remember always the Fundamental Rules of the Thursday Quiz:
1. The Thursday Quiz is a POP quiz. No research, Googling, Wikiing, or use of reference books. Violators will never be able to look at themselves in the mirror again.
2. Don't get all stressed out about it! It's supposed to be fun!Stodgy Old American Books!
They've stood the test of time to become Beloved American Classics -- by which I mean, their titles sound vaguely familiar to many educated Americans! Which ones are matched with the correct author?
1. The Courtship of Miles Standish, Mark Twain
2. Death Comes for the Archbishop, Willa Cather
3. The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton
4. Life of an American Slave, Ralph Waldo Emerson
5. The Life on the Frontier, Joshua Matthieson
6. Looking Backward: 2000-1887, Edward Bellamy
7. Ragged Dick, Horatio Alger
8. The Red Badge of Courage, Stephen Crane
9. The Scarlet Letter, Harriet Beecher Stowe
10. The Turn of the Screw, Henry James
11. Two Years Before the Mast, Richard Henry Dana
12. Winesburg, Ohio, Sherwood Anderson
Submit your stodgy old answers in the comments.