El Greco and Hugo van der Goes have been rubbing elbows with household names all through this tournament. It was losing to the two of them, for instance, that shot Paul Gauguin to his surprisingly speedy exit. On the other hand, both of them have lost badly to Mr. Vincent Van Gogh. Now they face each other for a shot at the big time. Will van der Goes pull off another hairsbreadth win against a major opponent? Or will El Greco prevail? Let's find out!
Leaving us after very strong performances are Giulio Romano (3-2; 26 vf, 27 va) and Alberto Giacometti (2-2; 27 vf, 19 va). The latter's "batting average" of .587 ranks him 5th among the 153 artists whom have now been voted out of the Tournament.
1541 - 1614
Greek; worked in Italy and Spain
- Defeated Florentine master Benozzo Gozzoli in Round 1 in a contest that went down to the last vote. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!!
- Tied with Francisco Goya in Round 2. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!
- Stunned Paul Gauguin in a lopsided Round 2 tiebreaker.
- Lost to somebody called Vincent van Gogh in Round 3.
- Easily beat Giulio Romano in the Left Bracket Third Round.
Hugo van der Goes
1440 - 1482
- Lost to somebody named Vincent van Gogh in Round 1.
- Smeared Arshile Gorky in First Round Elimination.
- Beat somebody named Paul Gauguin in the Left Bracket Second Round by a single vote. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!!
- Beat Natalia Gontcharova in the Third Round by a single vote -- YOUR VOTE COUNTS AGAIN!!!
- Beat Modernist sculptor Alberto Giacometti in the Left Bracket Third Round by a two-vote swing. YOUR VOTE STILL COUNTS!!!
Vote for the artist of your choice in the comments, or any other way that works for you. Commentary and links to additional work are welcome. Polls open for at least one month past posting.