Frantisek Kupka and Domenico Ghirlandaio both won into the Third Round before taking a loss, Ghirlandao to Krøyer and Kupka to La Tour. Both of them have now won their matches in the Left Bracket Third Round -- Kupka against Raoul Hausmann, whom Ghirlandao beat all the way back in Round One -- but only one can move on from here. Will it be the 20th century Czech or the 15th century Italian? Let's see!
Leaving us this week are Hausmann (3-2-1) and the American Thomas Cole (also 3-2-1). Cole breaks into the top ten of artists who have left the tournament: his "batting average" of .564 (44 votes for, 34 votes against) is the 8th best out of 205.
1871 - 1957
Czech; worked in France
- Defeated Wilfredo Lam in an unusual Cuban/Czech IAT Round 1 pairing.
- Beat beachcomber Andres Amador in Round 2 by a single vote. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!
- Lost to Georges de La Tour in Round 3, again by a single vote.
YOUR VOTE COUNTS AGAIN!!!
- Mauled Raoul Hausmann in the Left Bracket Third Round.
1449 - 1494
- Tied with Lorenzo Ghiberti in his first try at Round One.
- Beat Raoul Hausmann in the Round 1 tiebreaker.
- Laid a beating on Oskar Kokoschka in Round 2.
- Lost to Peter Krøyer in Round 3 by a two-vote swing. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!!
- Beat Thomas Cole in the Left Bracket Third Round by one little vote. YOUR VOTE STILL COUNTS!!!
Vote for the artist of your choice in the comments, or any other way that works for you. Commentary and links to additional work are welcome. Polls open for at least one month past posting.